Skip to main content

A discussion on the new American vinyl bjd's

I have noticed Dianna Effner has designed some vinyl bjd's that recall her storybook collection dolls from twenty years ago. I still have the outfit from my Goldilocks, though I ruined the doll long ago. I have been thinking of getting the bjd, which looks like a similar face mold. If there were one artist I would have liked to design bjd's, it is her. I am less excited because they are vinyl and because the eyes are painted rather than inset.

Ashton Drake has been putting out a great number of vinyl bjd's. Some of them I have really liked. In addition to Effner's I admire the Indian maidens, whose faces have the sweetness I want for my collection. I am always looking for more project-oriented dolls that I can design or cross stitch for, and with my interest in New Mexican design I would strongly consider one or more of those.

I wonder when the Franklin Mint will do a bjd. I was a little surprised that their Kate Middleton is just the standard 16" fashion doll.

My interest in the Asian dolls has waned, though if I could have any it would be the Dream of Babies. I just adore their beauty, though there is a coldness in them I'm not sure belongs in my collection. On the flip side I feel sometimes that Effner's dolls have too much cheerfulness.

The artist I am watching now is Linda Mason. Having acquired a couple of her girls in tea dresses I am smitten with her dolls' faces and their wonderful proportion. Since looking over Anna and Amanda I have literally felt disillusioned about some of my other child dolls now that I know how great a child doll can be. I have seen no sign of Mason doing a bjd, but I can always hope.

I have not seen any new work from my other favorite artist, Tom Francirek, in some time. I am not acquiring lady dolls and don't know that I would consider a new one, but his works are a total delight to me. I still have my one Indian maiden of his in porcelain, who photographs stunningly.

As far as vintage, I continue to focus on resale and thrift shop porcelain dolls thirty to forty years old. I have so many Barbies and have gotten far behind in fixing some of them as I planned. The modern Barbie is as much a stranger to me as my fellow creature Woman. Competitive and hostile, plastic smile concealing sharp little teeth. Mattel is always perfect at capturing the woman of the times. But I will live in the past with doe-eyed long-haired Barbie with a basket of flowers in her arms and the wind billowing her full skirts. Riding horses and wearing wedding gowns with puffy sleeves.

Otherwise, sometimes I have to look at pictures of Evangeline Ghastly before I go to bed. She's not the right fit for me. She sort of seems like a cartoon, and her outfits are too haute, but still I look before I go to sleep.

The only Tonner doll I have seen with the kind of gentle look I want is Prudence, but I haven't found the one for me yet.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fanchon

I can't believe it. It looks like the rusted gates to The Garden of Virtues are going to be laboriously parted by small articulated resin hands after all once more. I am glad that I am buying Lanie's Angel, but I am also a little sad. I remember disposing of Dresden along with my other dolls. I was in a vicious rage. I hesitated over Dresden's prone form, thinking, goodness, even I don't think of her as a BJD, is this really necessary? And then, blindly, cutting the strings. I can't believe I am actually talking about this now. I have not talked about it before. I regretted losing her afterward, because I did not really need to part with her. She was a sweet, special presence, a little woman. I have kept all of her eyes, wigs and clothes. Of course I will never forget the moments in which I divested all of my BJD's of their clothing, wigs and eyes. The other day Henry came around with a little velcro he had found and I grew faint, knowing that it had come fro

Paper doll copying, digital editing project

1 bjd pic daily - Fish n' Chips

1 bjd pic daily - Fish n' Chips , originally uploaded by blacsylc . This is Leslie's pal Fish n' Chips. As I clear out space Leslie's room is starting to take shape. I am so excited. I have been carrying around ideas for his room for a while.