Skip to main content

What I've been up to

I have been seeing the name "Ophelia" on gravestones; it seems to have been a popular name in the 1800s, but is less commonly-used now. The name brings my character, and former doll, Ophelia, and this journal to mind. I decided to start writing in this journal again. I have also been thinking of having a doll version of my character Ophelia again.

I may get myself another ball-jointed doll for my birthday, but I'm not completely decided on it. This particular doll purchase would make for a really fun birthday for me, because I would be able to pick her up in Austin, which I love traveling to. The doll, a Serendipity Sharmin, has a broken finger, but a new set of ball-jointed doll hands is not really expensive. It's amazing that the cost of the doll is so greatly reduced for that reason. I had created a particular eBay search for this sculpt, because she has been on my wish list for so many years. There are several dolls that I am hoping to find on the secondhand market, one of which is Dollmore Model Ha Yarn Cho.

My former Dollmore Model Ha Yarn Cho was a doll version of my character Josette de Forrest. Over the years, in my imagination, Josette has become an even more dynamic character. I feel that her beginnings were as far back as 1998, when I was into making web pages on GeoCities. I came across a web graphics set (I believe it was this one, by Moyra's Web Jewels), which I felt drawn to use to make an online space called "Josette's room." The personality of the space I visualized was mostly inspired by the character Josette du Pres in the 1960's gothic soap opera "Dark Shadows," but as I began imagining more about "Josette's room" and putting down a description in words, "Josette" became a character of my own.

Nowadays, Josette's story is changing rapidly. Even though it fascinates me, I feel reluctant to write it down, because I don't want to pin it down and limit its possibilities. For now, I would rather describe certain parts of her story, which in themselves are bound to change.

I see Josette as a governess to a boy and girl, or as a teacher at a girls' school, and I perceive the different personalities of the girls she teaches. I also see Josette living alone in the apartment that she shared with her mother in Paris, before her mother passed away. I see multiple times in her life, and in my thoughts of Josette, I experience them simultaneously, instead of linearly. However, since Josette is a doll, her life doesn't have a beginning or an end. Instead, these different experiences are overlaid on her character.

Josette was Leslie's governess, which led to an intense conflict in her life, one that led to a period of seclusion and reflection. During this time of seclusion, Josette communicates with Garth, and they have a platonic relationship, even though they are engaged. They have been childhood friends, and Garth is much above Josette in status. Garth is in love with Josette, and so he's willing to be patient and wait for her, even though he fells that she does not love him at all. Josette prefers an ideal form of love to real-life love and feels uncomfortable with sexual desire.

While Josette was Leslie's governess, she developed a bond with a housemaid in the family home, named Dannie. Dannie, however, was deeply and hopelessly in love with Garth, who visited the home frequently to see Josette. Garth ended up bonding with Dannie through a mutual love of literature, after discovering that she knew how to read. However, his feelings for her were never more than friendship. Dannie's persona is dark and bittersweet. She remains in a state of longing.

Josette does not feel jealous of Dannie's friendship with Garth, perhaps because she does not really want to marry Garth. From the start, Josette is drawn to Dannie because her interests are so similar to Garth's. She enjoys talking to Dannie because she misses the easy friendship she once shared with Garth when they were children. However, Dannie does not return Josette's friendliness equally. She knows that in terms of appearance, she is very much Josette's inferior, and that Josette's beauty and untouchable nature will always fascinate Garth.

I don't know how their relationships continue after Josette stops working as Leslie's governess, but they do, somehow.

I have felt undecided about going to the BJD convention in Austin, and also about attending doll meet-ups. I attended one in Waco many years ago, and I really enjoyed it. However, so many years have passed since I have done either that I feel intimated at the prospects. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fanchon

I can't believe it. It looks like the rusted gates to The Garden of Virtues are going to be laboriously parted by small articulated resin hands after all once more. I am glad that I am buying Lanie's Angel, but I am also a little sad. I remember disposing of Dresden along with my other dolls. I was in a vicious rage. I hesitated over Dresden's prone form, thinking, goodness, even I don't think of her as a BJD, is this really necessary? And then, blindly, cutting the strings. I can't believe I am actually talking about this now. I have not talked about it before. I regretted losing her afterward, because I did not really need to part with her. She was a sweet, special presence, a little woman. I have kept all of her eyes, wigs and clothes. Of course I will never forget the moments in which I divested all of my BJD's of their clothing, wigs and eyes. The other day Henry came around with a little velcro he had found and I grew faint, knowing that it had come fro

Paper doll copying, digital editing project

1 bjd pic daily - Fish n' Chips

1 bjd pic daily - Fish n' Chips , originally uploaded by blacsylc . This is Leslie's pal Fish n' Chips. As I clear out space Leslie's room is starting to take shape. I am so excited. I have been carrying around ideas for his room for a while.