Skip to main content

Update on Fanchon

Welcome to my world, Fanchon, almost.

I spent Easter weekend cleaning, sanding and sueding Fanchon and on Sunday strung her all up with new elastic. I was filled with pride for her. I would never have taken one of my other incredibly expensive dolls apart, nor would I have sudeded them, but Fanchon was not only very cheap, but had special needs and required all of this.

I made things up as I went along. I used sewing elastic, which ends up being a little too slack, and I super-glued beige microfiber dust cloth to her sockets as her "suede." I have never even seen a doll sueded, but I really love how she turned out. You can see some of the buff-colored cloth around her joints, but it is positioned neatly, and I am proud to show that I did it. In addition I cleaned almost every little atom of paint from her, except from her face, which I knew better than to touch with anything damp, and her fingers, which were the worst hit and also the most delicate to clean. The residue is very hard to notice on her face and fingers though. Except for being too slack, she has another considerable flaw, and that is I put her hands on backward. I didn't notice till she was dressed and ready to go. Her arms are too slack anyway, and I'd like the chance to fix that too.

Through all of this I did not chip or crack her at all. I handled her delicately and instilled some habits. She can never be dropped or allowed to fall. She will break like glass. I believe her chipped joints will not wear down further. The microfiber is protective and prevents any more of the rubbing. Without her wiring she is not as posable, but the wires seemed to be wearing on her fragile resin as well.

Anyway, I am pleased to no end about her. I have never fixed up a doll like this before. I never plan to again, but it's nice to know if another opportunity for a cheap and damaged Angel came up, I would be able to take it. As of now, Fanchon looks quite, quite presentable. Now that she has eyelashes, she looks more human, and there is really no differene between her and any other BJD, except that her style and face are much more proper for my collection.

I have plans for her little home, and her toys, and a couple of clothing pieces, and there are several wigs I want to repair and restyle for her.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fanchon

I can't believe it. It looks like the rusted gates to The Garden of Virtues are going to be laboriously parted by small articulated resin hands after all once more. I am glad that I am buying Lanie's Angel, but I am also a little sad. I remember disposing of Dresden along with my other dolls. I was in a vicious rage. I hesitated over Dresden's prone form, thinking, goodness, even I don't think of her as a BJD, is this really necessary? And then, blindly, cutting the strings. I can't believe I am actually talking about this now. I have not talked about it before. I regretted losing her afterward, because I did not really need to part with her. She was a sweet, special presence, a little woman. I have kept all of her eyes, wigs and clothes. Of course I will never forget the moments in which I divested all of my BJD's of their clothing, wigs and eyes. The other day Henry came around with a little velcro he had found and I grew faint, knowing that it had come fro

Paper doll copying, digital editing project

1 bjd pic daily - Fish n' Chips

1 bjd pic daily - Fish n' Chips , originally uploaded by blacsylc . This is Leslie's pal Fish n' Chips. As I clear out space Leslie's room is starting to take shape. I am so excited. I have been carrying around ideas for his room for a while.