Skip to main content

Carnivale - Austin BJD Convention, 2010

Something I've been heartsick over lately is missing BJD conventions. I attended the Austin convention in '06 and '07, missing '08, and apparently there was none this year. Selfishly I'm glad, it would have hurt to miss another one.

I really miss connecting with other people over dolls. I miss the spirit of fun that reigned over the conventions, shedding my business outfits for clothing much more youthful and summer-y, packing up all my dolls and their accessories, and all of us going on a magical road trip to Austin - one of my absolute favorite places in the world. The late-night shopping sprees, tiptoeing from hotel room to hotel room with my dolls in hand to look at accessories, meet vendors and other people, and taking the occasional rest in the room reserved for refreshments, getting a lil glass of wine, talking to the really nice ladies that always hung out there. It was so fun. When I used my tote bags for summer vacation it all came back to me - with some soreness as I realized what was will never be again.

So when I saw that the dates for next year have already been set and registration opens in January I decided I will start working on the issue. It seems kind of counterproductive, since I have a growing wish list. At the same time, there were many American dolls sold at the convention. If I saved enough perhaps I could purchase one of my favorites right there and save on shipping costs.

I didn't have any table gifts - didn't know about that whole thing, and ever since I have been longing to plan and make table gifts as well as all the rest. Hey, if I have enough stuff left I might even be able to host my own room sale. that would be fun and different!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fanchon

I can't believe it. It looks like the rusted gates to The Garden of Virtues are going to be laboriously parted by small articulated resin hands after all once more. I am glad that I am buying Lanie's Angel, but I am also a little sad. I remember disposing of Dresden along with my other dolls. I was in a vicious rage. I hesitated over Dresden's prone form, thinking, goodness, even I don't think of her as a BJD, is this really necessary? And then, blindly, cutting the strings. I can't believe I am actually talking about this now. I have not talked about it before. I regretted losing her afterward, because I did not really need to part with her. She was a sweet, special presence, a little woman. I have kept all of her eyes, wigs and clothes. Of course I will never forget the moments in which I divested all of my BJD's of their clothing, wigs and eyes. The other day Henry came around with a little velcro he had found and I grew faint, knowing that it had come fro

Paper doll copying, digital editing project

1 bjd pic daily - Fish n' Chips

1 bjd pic daily - Fish n' Chips , originally uploaded by blacsylc . This is Leslie's pal Fish n' Chips. As I clear out space Leslie's room is starting to take shape. I am so excited. I have been carrying around ideas for his room for a while.