Skip to main content

Two journeys, day two, New Orleans

Amanda's day . . .

We slept in a little while. I made a pot of coffee from the Southern Pecan I brought with us and drank it throughout the day. After I had seen Nathan off, I started on my sewing. I hemmed six napkins while I watched Northanger Abbey and Mansfield Park. It was heaven to sew in a leisurely way while watching intermittently. I am watching the BBC movies, and I love the costumes. The fabrics and trim are so gorgeous as are the colors and textures.

I grew restless and wanted to work on something clothes-related, so I cut out a bonnet and apron pattern from those I brought and placed patterns on fabrc and thought for a good while but haven't cut out anything for the bonnet yet. It is so wonderful to be able to work without worrying about the time, about going to bed or getting things ready for work the next day. This is the most wonderful vacation I can imagine.

I cut out some pieces for a chemise and bloomers for Violette. I think they will be adorable, and I'm sad I didn't get the chance to start on the sewing today. I have a great deal of vintage yellow lace for the trim. I still have enough flour sack material for more doll clothing. I would have loved to make my Rococo bonnet from that material but there wasn't quite enough.

Once Nathan came back things got even better as we went out to dinner at Emeril's, which turned into the best food I've tasted perhaps ever. I got something very different for me, which was spaghetti and crawfish meatballs with edamame. The pasta was spinach noodles, my very favorite. I am still not over it, but then, we just came back to the room and I am most satiated.

*

Violette's day . . .

Last night our train arrived in darkness. I had fallen fast asleep in my bunk and was quite unconscious of having entered the city limits. As we slowed into the station I crawled to the window and lifted my shade, gazing onto stone paving glistening with lamplight and street lamps peering around tall stone buildings. The streets were dismal and rather fetid. I did not leave the close vicinity of my companions till we were safely within the hotel lobby.

All was immaculate, with sparkling chandeliers and luggage-filled carts rolling discreetly upon dark red carpet. I was anxious to reach my room and had little time to absorb our elegant surroundings. I felt bedraggled from sleeping on the train and a little embarrassed at my rumpled state.

The maid unpacked my luggage while I took down my hair and gave it twenty strokes. Being very tired I could not withstand my full ritual, which includes one hundred strokes. My cotton nightdress could not have felt cooler or more refreshing, nor could the down bed and pillows onto which I climbed. I spared no more thought for my surroundings but slept instantly.

This morning my maid brought breakfast on a silver tray: fried eggs and ham, tea and crumpets, an abundance of cream. I found after my train-sickness of the previous day my appetite had quite recovered and I ate all that was offered me before dressing and making my first venture out, to the atelier.

The fabrics of choice were thin and light-colored, well-suited to the tropical weather. I settled on an attractive set of chemise and drawers with a fine lace trim. The rest of my morning was taken with fittings and fabric choices.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fanchon

I can't believe it. It looks like the rusted gates to The Garden of Virtues are going to be laboriously parted by small articulated resin hands after all once more. I am glad that I am buying Lanie's Angel, but I am also a little sad. I remember disposing of Dresden along with my other dolls. I was in a vicious rage. I hesitated over Dresden's prone form, thinking, goodness, even I don't think of her as a BJD, is this really necessary? And then, blindly, cutting the strings. I can't believe I am actually talking about this now. I have not talked about it before. I regretted losing her afterward, because I did not really need to part with her. She was a sweet, special presence, a little woman. I have kept all of her eyes, wigs and clothes. Of course I will never forget the moments in which I divested all of my BJD's of their clothing, wigs and eyes. The other day Henry came around with a little velcro he had found and I grew faint, knowing that it had come fro

Paper doll copying, digital editing project

1 bjd pic daily - Fish n' Chips

1 bjd pic daily - Fish n' Chips , originally uploaded by blacsylc . This is Leslie's pal Fish n' Chips. As I clear out space Leslie's room is starting to take shape. I am so excited. I have been carrying around ideas for his room for a while.